This DABO First Solution Snail Gold Mask was probably my first or second foray into Korean Beauty products and to say that I was not impressed would be an understatement. If I hadn’t discovered the Laneige Water Bank Moisture Cream, I may have given up on Korean Beauty products.
But this is about the DABO First Solution Snail Gold Mask review and not Laneige so let’s get to it.
This is a sheet mask which are extremely popular in Korean Beauty because unlike other masks, they are presoaked with a formula to treat various skin issues and because the sheet remains on your face, this is supposed to ensure maximum effectiveness and absorption of the formula into the skin.
DADO First Solution Masks typically come in a pack of ten individually wrapped sheet masks and there are different types to address various skin issues such as green tea, white pearl, honey, hyaluronic, etc. Though grossed out thinking about putting snail slime on my face, I picked up the snail gold because this is targeted for anti-aging which I am concerned about.
The pack I picked up was mainly in the Korean language including the directions on usage so I had to look online for an English translation because even the few English sentences on the packet were difficult to understand but the packet does state “Renovation, Anti-Aging, Beautiful” and “healthy skin of a pure nature.”
From English translations I found, it also states that it’s for;
- “old skin which is started to droop”
- “old skin due to wrinkles”
- “severe and rough skin”
One of the ingredients (close to the bottom by the way!) is Snail Secretion Filtrate which is a popular anti-aging ingredient in Korean beauty products but is also used for other skin benefits (moisture, anti-acne, etc). Snail secretion is obtained usually from specialized farms and snails usually secrete this substance when they feel attacked.
This snail secretion is then processed and the type of Snail Secretion Filtrate included in products definitely varies from one manufacturer to another but most of them usually end up containing great skin ingredients such as allantoin, collagen, elastin, glycolic acid and hyaluronic acid.
Anyway though grossed out that I would be putting snail secretion on my face, I still wanted to test out its anti-aging claims. This sheet mask also claims not to contain paraben, alcohol,pigment, triethanolamine or carbomer.
From the English directions I was able to find online, you can apply the DABO First Solution Snail Gold mask in two ways – cool or warm. You can place in the refrigerator and then use or place in warm water for two to three minutes and then use.
To date, I have used six packets and have used them both ways and I’ve noticed nothing different from using them either although I prefer the feel of a warm sheet mask on my face.
I followed the directions – wash face and dry, apply sheet mask, leave on for 20 to 30 minutes, remove and pat the rest of the essence onto the face. Rinsing is not required.
In other instances, I even kept it on until the sheet mask dried which was after an hour and a half before I removed it.
There is not much of a smell to these sheet masks which I barely noticed after a few uses. The sheet masks also come out of the packet very wet which is normal.
- The only pro I could come up with is that it is inexpensive because I paid about $7 for the ten sheet masks that came in one pack.
- Saw no beneficial effects from using this sheet mask after removing the sheet mask or the next morning. The snail secretion is the second to last ingredient which to me means that there isn’t much of it in this mask so I wonder if this has to do with why I noticed no difference in my skin from using this DABO First Solution Snail Gold Mask.
- I did not like the remaining essence when I tapped it into my skin after removing the sheet mask. I did not like the look of my skin with the essence on and my skin looked so dry. I refer the essence and the look of my skin when I used the Miss Spa Facial Sheet Exfoliate Mask.
- It can be difficult to fit this sheet mask over the face properly (eyes, nose) as you can see below but granted, it would be difficult to make a sheet mask that properly fits the billions of people on this planet.
Not impressed with this DABO First Solution Snail Gold Mask especially since I had been made to believe sheet masks made in Korea are far superior. I noticed no changes to the skin on my face which is why it has taken me months to use up the ten packs and I am still dragging my feet about using the remaining 4.