L.A. Girl came out with some great new products recently and besides the L.A. Girl Pro Conceal Orange Corrector, I also wanted to try the L.A. Girl Pro Prep HD Smoothing Face Primer and see how it compares to my other primers. Since I haven’t yet found an actual primer that really works for me (besides using the very effective Milk of Magnesia), I am always on the lookout. My main concerns when using a primer is oil control, pore minimizing and the blurring of fine lines.
This primer claims to meet two out of three of my needs;
- Helps smooth and fill-in lines and pores and it is also,
- Paraben and fragrance free
- Enriched with vitamin E
This L.A. Girl Pro Prep HD Smoothing Face Primer review seeks to determine whether it was able to do what it claimed based upon my personal experience.
This primer is a clear thick gel-like primer. The texture and appearance is similar to, if not exactly like the clear Smashbox Photo Finish foundation primer or for those who use a “primer” that is meant for something else, it is similar to the Monistat Chafing Relief Powder-Gel which many people swear by as a primer although the latter has a slightly thinner texture.
Though this L.A. Girl Pro Prep HD Smoothing Face Primer is thick, it is easy to spread on the face and goes on silky and smooth. Because it stated that it helps to fill in pores, on the areas of my face with large pores which include the tip of my nose as well as the sides of my nose, I pressed this primer into the pores which is the method that you should use when you use primers that claim to be pore filling.
For the rest of my face, I simply spread the primer on my face as normal. I gave the primer a minute or two before I continued on with the rest of my makeup. It does not leave the face entirely matte but does remove some of the shine to leave the skin silky and smooth.
- Was a great base to apply my makeup and that’s about it!
- This primer did nothing for my pores or fine lines so it failed in what it claimed to do. If you are looking for a basic primer and don’t have issues with your skin, this primer may work for you.
- I purchased this at ikatehouse.com for $4.99 and it contains 0.50 Fl. Oz (15 ml). Comparing this price to the usual prices for other L.A. Girl products, I thought this was quite expensive. I also thought it was too expensive when compared to how much I got for this primer (0.50 Fl. Oz) even though you only need a small amount for the whole face.
This L.A. Girl Pro Prep High Definition Smoothing Face Primer is the first product from L.A. Girl that I am very disappointed in. It cost too much for the amount you get. It was also a huge disappointment because it did not do what it claimed. I have no use for it.
Also, although it did not claim to control oil, I usually hope face primers that I use do something against the oil in my t-zone and this primer was a HUGE disappointment. It did absolutely nothing and in less than an hour after applying my makeup, my t-zone started to get shiny and a few hours later, my t-zone was seriously oily.
Hope this L.A. Girl Pro Prep HD Smoothing Face Primer review was helpful to you. I would not recommend it unless you are looking for a general face primer but even then, when you consider the amount you get, there are other primers you could get.