While there are certainly great primers that will help you control oily skin and keep your makeup intact, one secret that is raved about by many with oily skin including me is Milk of Magnesia (MOM)! Who would have thought this laxative/antacid would be such a great tool to control oily skin? And it is cheap too.
Word of caution is that MOM should only be used by those with oily skin and not those with dry skin as MOM will be too harsh for these skin types.
MOM is used as a primer to control oily skin as it wonderful at absorbing oil and keeping shine away which will certainly help to create an oil free polished look. The good thing is that MOM is easily accessible and cheap! If features hydroxide of magnesia as an ingredient, which is what helps to absorb excess oil and also result in tightened skin.
Steps To Using Milk of Magnesia to Control Oily Skin
1. Cleanse and tone your skin following your normal routine and blot dry.
2. Apply moisturizer (or not although just because you have oily/combination skin does not mean that you do not need a moisturizer)
3. Apply sunscreen (unless your moisturizer and sunscreen are one and the same)
4. Using chewable MOM tablets or the original milky white liquid, apply a thin layer of MOM to the skin (or only to the oily areas such as the forehead, nose and cheeks) with a cotton ball. Dab the skin very lightly with the product and avoid using too much MOM while still ensuring that the oil prone areas are completely covered.
5. Once completely dry, apply your foundation and the rest of your makeup. MOM provides a great base for your makeup and allows it to last longer on your skin.
I have tried many primers to keep the excessive oil production in my T-zone at bay for longer than an hour or so and so far only milk of magnesia has been able to do the job. I have been amazed at how long I have been able to go without blotting my face. With summer just around the corner when my skin gets excessively oily, I will be reaching for MOM more frequently as a face primer.
I love MOM but like with everything, it may not work for you. Some people do not like it because they say that it clogged their pores and led to breakouts. This did not happen to me and I have breakout prone skin. In fact, some studies show that it can help with acne and can be used as an acne treatment mask by applying a thin layer and leaving it on for a few minutes before washing it off.
This is how it is with many home remedies. Some people love it while others hate it and the only way to know whether it will work for you or not is to try it. If you have struggled to control your oily skin and have had no success with other oil controlling primers, you may want to try MOM.
Or you can try any of the following primers to control oil and/or minimize pores.