For some reason this year, I have been more into non-traditional lip colors and gray has been one of the top non-traditional lip colors that has been very popular this year. The only non-traditional color in the NYX Liquid Suede Cream lipstick line was stone fox, so it was the only purchase I made from this much-hyped line.
The L.A. Girl Matte Flat Velvet Lipstick line released several non-traditional colors besides the normal colors so I picked those up including poetic.
Since I now have two gray colored lipsticks from two different brands, I decided to do a stone fox vs poetic head to head competition to find a winner.
NYX Liquid Suede Cream Lipstick
This line is supposed to be NYX’s response to the current craze of liquid lipsticks but I don’t know if it is truly like most of the other liquid lipsticks on the market. Although it is matte, it is not as drying or as transfer resistant as other liquid lipsticks so I don’t really understand this line at all especially since NYX already has products that would be more comparable to other liquid lipsticks than this new line. I guess they just needed something brand new to sell.
L.A. Girl Matte Flat Velvet Lipstick
This new line from this brand is supposed to be rich in pigment and filled with moisture in a flat velvet finish (whatever this means). With added shea butter to hydrate lips as well as for a soft, smooth application.
Both are inexpensive but NYX Stone Fox is a bit more expensive than the L.A. Girl Poetic – $6.99 compared to $2.99.
NYX Liquid Suede Cream Lipstick is liquid in nature and comes with a slightly curved wand applicator whereas the L.A. Girl Matte Flat Velvet Lipstick in Poetic is like a traditional lipstick in texture and application. Both dry to a matte finish and while Poetic leaves the lips feeling very soft and almost like you are not wearing any lipstick, Stone Fox feels a little sticky but the lips still feel soft.
Per the above, you can see that Stone Fox has more of a bluish undertone compared to Poetic.
Which Do I Prefer
NYX Stone Fox
- Application – L.A. Girl Poetic requires several applications to get the opacity that I need but I never get to a point that I like. One swipe is all I need with NYX Stone Fox. The applicator is amazing and grabs all you need for one application. Stone Fox is also very pigmented.
- Longevity – After about an hour, I need to reapply Poetic whereas Stone Fox lasts upwards of 6 hours.
- Lip liner – While I am very attached to lip liner, Stone Fox is the only one that I could wear without lip liner. Poetic requires lip liner before I can be comfortable wearing it out.
- Eating and Drinking – Poetic does not adhere to the lips at all which means most if not all will come off unless you are very careful when you eat or drink but even then it is still a mess. Stone Fox does not come off as much as Poetic when eating and drinking and the great thing is that unlike many other liquid lipsticks that I own, I can reapply Stone Fox to the areas that come off without any issues. I don’t have to remove the entire lipstick before reapplying.
- Removal – Poetic comes off with one swipe of a tissue. Stone Fox requires a makeup remover to get it all off.
- Poetic does has a strong smell.
- And Stone Fox just looks better to me compared to Poetic.
That’s my Stone Fox vs Poetic comparison. Poetic does feel great on the lips and once I add a lip liner, it look better so purchasing it was not a complete waste though I wish it was more like most matte lipsticks that I own which are not so easy to remove once applied to the lips. But I am loving NYX Liquid Suede Cream Lipstick in Stone Fox. It looks great, feels great and lasts long.