I decided to pick this up during the recent ulta 40% off sale which included NYX products. Before this, I didn’t really have a lot of NYX products besides a lipstick and a couple of setting sprays, so thanks to this sale I get to test out a few of their products such as this. Here’s my NYX MICRO Brow Pencil review.
I wasn’t sure which color to get but since I prefer my brows to be a dark brown, I thought the brunette would be a good choice and was keeping my fingers crossed that this color would work out.
There are eight colors in all and I guess this is supposed to be a dupe for the Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz which retails for $21! The NYX MICRO brow pencil retails for $9.99 but ulta always seems to have some sale on NYX products going on.
I have not tried the Anastasia brow wiz mainly because I am cheap and like my $0.93 brow pencil from Wet n Wild! I did try out another possible dupe for the Brow Wiz – BH Cosmetics Studio Pro HD Brow Pencil also in Brunette.
Compared to the BH Cosmetics brow pencil, the NYX brow pencil is a better color match for me. Although I still like the BH brow pencil, I did have to get used to its version of brunette. Not so much with NYX. It was the perfect color from the jump.
All three products have a retractable pencil on one end and a spooley on the other end.
Another thing that I preferred about the NYX MICRO brow pencil compared to the BH Cosmetics pencil is that the former was a little creamier so getting the product onto my brows wasn’t as hard as the latter so I can definitely see myself using the NYX product on a daily basis even when I am in a rush which I couldn’t see myself doing with the BH Cosmetics Studio Pro HD Brow Pencil.
- Smudge Resistant
- Excellent color match which looks so natural against my skin.
- The spooley is not too hard and not too soft making it perfect for brushing my brows as well as for use creating my “concealer brows”.
- The pencil is not too creamy and not too hard which allows me to use several light strokes to draw in my brows. Despite needing several strokes, its not too hard to the point that I can’t use this every day.
- If you are used to the Anastasia Brow Wiz, this is quite inexpensive especially when you consider that ulta always has some deal going on with NYX products.
- Contrary to the claims, this is not smudge proof so you may need to set it with a gel or powder.
- It will move especially if you have oily skin and the oil starts to seep through the brows. Before I use the brow pencil, I actually use a shine control primer or milk of magnesia over my brows and simply brush away any excess one dry with the spooley after. This seems to help keep the oil at bay. Or I add a powder or brow gel. Or you could try the BH Cosmetics Studio Pro Brow Pencil which sets amazingly matte making it excellent for oily skin and it is smudge proof.
- If you are used to a very cheap brow pencil (e.g. my $.93 Wet n Wild brow pencil!),$9.99 for a brow pencil may be expensive.
- It requires a lot of product to get the perfect brow each time you use it so I don’t see this lasting long which is a shame.
I really like this NYX MICRO Brow Pencil and unlike the similar BH cosmetics brow pencil, I can use this everyday since it is much easier to use. I would definitely buy this again but not at full price and thankfully, ulta always has some sale going on on NYX products.
While I like my cheap Wet n wild brow pencil, the NYX pencil is not as creamy which I think helps it look a lot more natural than the former. I do see myself using these two at the same time though (Wet n Wild to outline my brows and the NYX to fill in the brows) which I hope should help the NYX pencil last a bit longer.
Hopefully this NYX MICRO Brow Pencil review in brunette was helpful to you. It’s a great alternative whether you are used to cheap or expensive brow pencils.
Available for $9.99 at ulta.