The only other product I have tried from the African Black Soap line is the SheaMoisture African Black Soap bar soap and it is one of only a few of my skin care products that I have repurchased over and over. Even though I have tried other brands of African black soap, I always return to the SheaMoisture one. So while I was browsing the ulta website, I saw this mask and it seemed interesting so I decided to get it and so here is my SheaMoisture African Black Soap Problem Skin Facial Mask review (w/ tamarind extract and tea tree oil).
Clear and balance blemished, oily skin.
A deep cleansing facial mask draws out impurities, absorbs excess oil and helps refine the skin with African Black Soap and Raw Shea Butter, venerable blemish-fighting secrets that help address skin problems associated with acne. This earth based mask helps control excess oil, condition and improve the appearance of blemished skin. Skin feels clean and refreshed.
From the claims, this is the perfect mask for me because I do have acne-prone combination/oily skin, so it sounded like a mask I needed in my life immediately. I have sensitive skin also.
Like most if not all SheaMoisture products, this mask has great ingredients. The kaolin and bentonite clays are definitely great for oil control. The sulfur, willow bark extract, salicylic acid and tea tree oil are great ingredients for fighting acne. The African black soap which is also included in the ingredient list is loved by many including me for being able to calm break out prone skin which is why I keep repurchasing the SheaMoisture African Black Soap bar.
Apply to clean dry face once or twice weekly as needed, avoiding the eye area. Allow to set for 5 to 10 minutes. Rinse with cool water. Pat skin dry. Apply moisturizer.
This is gray in color and I was expecting it to be clay-like (based on the ingredients and color) but it is more like a lotion. It is very soft and it smells really wonderful. If you are sensitive to smell, you may not like this because the smell is a bit strong. It does not dry either. It will set on the face the longer you keep it on but it will not dry. When washing it off, it feels very slippery which is probably due to the plantain which is included in the African black soap ingredient.
I applied this SheaMoisture African Black Soap Problem Skin Facial Mask after cleansing and drying my face and although it states to leave on for 5 to 10 minutes, I left it on for close to an hour every time that I used this mask. I then rinsed and dried my face. It tingles a little bit when applied but it is nothing very noticeable.
- It works for acne prone skin! Fancy something actually doing what it claims. In addition to a few breakouts, I had this annoying bump on my cheek that did not seem to change after several days. It wouldn’t “ripen” and it wouldn’t heal. The morning after using this mask, this bump plus my other breakouts had gone down and by the next day, were very faint. It seems to help breakouts dry out and start healing and also brings blackheads to the surface for easier extraction.
- It does a great job at oil balancing because after I washed my face and dried it, I was not in a rush to apply my moisturizer or oil and my skin just looked “content”. Usually my skin starts producing oil immediately after I dry my face off, but not after using this mask.
- It’s hard to explain but my skin just looked so calm, clear and smooth.
- Skin felt very clean but not dry.
- Although it is gray in color, it did not make a mess in my tub/shower when washing it off like some other masks.
- Amazing ingredient list.
- The only con I can think of with this African Black Soap Problem Skin Facial Mask is that I wish it were in a bigger size. It is only 4 oz/113g.
This SheaMoisture African Black Soap Problem Skin Facial Mask is a winner especially if you have acne prone oily skin or just any skin type in general. My skin looks great after using it and it actually does what it claims. Based on this, I really want to try the other skin care items in this line since I have had such great success with this mask as well as the soap bar in this line.
That’s my SheaMoisture African Black Soap Problem Skin Facial Mask review. You need this gem in your life if you have problem skin (plus the African black soap bar!)
Available at ulta for $11.99 though there is always some sale or promotion going on with these products.