It’s been a while since I’ve done a Wellness Wednesday post but since I really believe in the healing power of nature and other methods for natural healing and well-being, I will try to make these posts a little more regular. Hopefully weekly. For this week we shall look at some herbs and plants that are amazing little healers (some just as effective as many pharmaceuticals while being side effective free).
I love herbs and use them daily and I really do think they have helped with promoting my general health and well-being. Please do leave a comment about some of the amazing healing herbs that you use in your daily life which you love ’cause sharing is caring!
Top 5 Amazing Healing Herbs
Garlic is probably tops as far as amazing healing herbs are concerned. It’s not called the natural penicillin for nothing! Garlic is an effective anti-fungal and anti-bacterial and unlike antibiotics, which have resulted in the development of “super-bugs” which are resistance to antibiotics, there is no such problem with garlic.
Garlic is especially great for preventing heart disease and stroke, reducing the risk of colon and stomach cancers, can lower cholesterol and triglycerides, for treating various infections (ear infections, yeast infections, etc) and so on and so forth.
In order to get the most, eat it fresh (the healing power comes from the component – allicin – which is released when you crush garlic.) But while raw garlic is best, you can have it cooked (cook lightly) or powdered.
Cinnamon (cassia) comes in two versions – Saigon (Vietnamese)cinnamon or Ceylon (Sri Lankan) cinnamon. This is a common spice which is found in most homes but it’s also one of the oldest natural healers and is usually recommended by various herbalists for the treatment of various health conditions including;
- Pain, due to the antimicrobial properties found in cinnamon through the action of eugenol which is a natural anesthetic oil found in this herb.
- To treat infections which is one of the reasons that cinnamon is commonly included in toothpaste and dental floss. Cinnamon which contains very powerful antiseptics can kill various disease-causing bacteria, fungi as well as viruses.
- High cholesterol can be reduced by consuming about a teaspoon of cinnamon a day.
- Cinnamon has been found to be a great help in reducing blood sugar which is great news for those with diabetes.
- Some studies have shown that cinnamon can reduce blood pressure so if you suffer from high blood pressure, it cannot hurt to try cinnamon.
- Cinnamon can also help if you have any digestive issues such as bloating, indigestion, gas, etc.
- If you suffer from heavy menstrual bleeding, cinnamon can help to normalize your blood flow.
During the winter, I try to take a few drops of oil of oregano daily to keep colds and flu away and it seems to work for me as I almost ever deal with these issues during the winter. Oregano (Oregano compactum) contains antifungal properties in addition to other microbial chemicals that can be very beneficial. This is also great for dealing with yeast infections.
When I think of amazing healing herbs, garlic immediately pops in my mind and the other is ginger.
While it’s a common feature of Ayurvedic medicine as well as traditional Chinese medicine in addition to being used in many delicious culinary dishes, some of the traditional uses of this herb for healing which are supported by modern science include the following;
- Prevention of nausea caused by seasickness and other types of motion sickness. It can also help with morning sickness from pregnancy.
- Ginger can help to reduce cholesterol levels, lower blood pressure and prevent blood clots and doing this is these three areas helps to prevent heart disease and stroke.
- Ginger is perfect for fighting colds and flu by being able to kill the influenza virus.
- Ginger has also been used to help relieve the symptoms of arthritis.
- Ginger can help with various digestive problems.
- Ulcer symptoms can be treated with ginger although it does not cure ulcers.
- Ginger can help with various women’s health issues including helping to ease menstrual cramps by soothing the uterus.
This spice is another which I love. In addition to using it internally, one of my favorite homemade masks is a turmeric mask which I use occasionally and it’s really amazing. But back to healing, turmeric contains the amazing active ingredient curcumin which has been found to contain very powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
Various health conditions which can be improved by turmeric include;
- Cardiovascular disease
- Digestive problems
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Liver damage
- Crohn’s disease
- Weight loss
- And so on and so forth
But the turmeric found in grocery stores usually contains a very minute amount of curcumin so be careful which turmeric you use for healing. I like this one.
What other amazing healing herbs do you use? Comment below.